We’ve written time and time again about the effects that harsh winter weather can have on your car and how one of our steel garages can make a world of difference. Taking the precautions we’ve mentioned earlier to shield your vehicle from winter’s worst can save you a lot of money later on. Your car is a huge investment, so actively trying to take care of it and make it last as long as possible is a no brainer.
Prepping Your RV
Another huge (and we mean HUGE) investment that some people may also need to protect is their recreational vehicle or camper. Just because your RV is bigger than your car doesn’t mean it’s any less susceptible to damage caused by cold temperatures and severe weather. Considering they can easily cost more than $100,000, why wouldn’t you treat it like your own child? Most people won’t use their RV during the winter and should seriously think about taking the proper steps to store it safely and securely. Luckily, we found a few tips to help you get started.
- Decide upon a secure storage location that will be large enough to safely store your RV. One of our steel garages would be an affordable, durable, and versatile solution.
- Make sure the electricity, heat, and A/C circuit breakers are turned off. Then, unplug any batteries and store them in a safe location.
- Fill and shut off the propane tanks and remove them from your RV. Try and store them in a safe location separate from your RV if possible.
- Top off the gas tank, oil, radiator, and all other fluids to prevent moisture from building up anywhere in the system over the long winter. Be sure to add fuel stabilizer to the gas.
- If your RV will be sitting for an extended period, it is possible that the tires can develop flat spots. Place the RV on jacks and remove the tires to prevent this (you’ll need room to store these; another great reason to check out our affordable steel building selection).
- Empty any water and sewage tanks and blow out pipes with compressed air to eliminate the risk of ice accumulation and damage.
Steel Garages Offer the Best Protection
We know that winter can be the worst time of year for many people. But winter doesn’t last forever. Take the time now to prepare your RV for the long winter ahead. You’ll be glad you did once the temperatures warm up and the majority of your maintenance is already taken care of. Start with one of our steel garages or buildings to get the best protection possible. We have been manufacturing steel garages for decades and have the resources and experience to make your dream garage a reality. Visit our site or call us today to find the best building for your money.